Even babies can celebrate Earth Day, with a little help from moms and dads. By choosing greener, cleaner and sustainable everyday baby products, like the ones on this list, parents can show little ones from a very young age how to love their planet.
Green My Ride
New car seats for kids usually come in huge, wasteful cardboard boxes, but not the Cosco Scenera Convertible Car Seat, packaged in the first-ever eco-friendly travel and storage bag. The carry bag has eliminated over 65 tons of paperboard waste, saving an estimated 2,700-plus trees a year, and cut warehouse and transportation costs by 33 percent. The seat features a 5-point internal harness system and detachable cup holder. Fits children 5-35 lbs. rear-facing and 22-40 lbs. forward-facing. Target. $54.99.
Beyond Bed and Bath
Most crib mattresses are made with synthetic materials that can include toxins, but you can sleep well when you put your little Earth angel down for a restful night on the handcrafted Coco Mat mattress for cribs or toddler beds, made with breathable pure lambswool and other all organic materials. Locate retailers at nauralmatusa.com. $399.
When Mother Nature calls and little ones need to go, go green, with the Safety 1st Nature Next 3-in-1 Potty,made of 100 percentbio-plastic, which includes a potty, toilet insert ring and stepstool, featuring a locking lid for easy carrying. Walmart. $9.99.
Up with Bamboo
Budding environmentalists can sit up tall and proud in the Safety 1st Nature Next Bamboo Booster Seat, made from durable bamboo, a renewable resource that grows quickly and is able to rapidly replenish itself. The booster includes an easy-to-remove adjustable tray and 3-point safety harness. Babies R Us, Sears, Walmart. $39.99.
Growing Up Green
Beating the BPA Bottle
Many baby bottles contain potentially harmful bisphenol-A (BPA) plastic, but not bottles made by Green to Grow, and the grassroots company proves they care about the future of our little ones and our planet by using 100 percent recycled paper and soy inks in all of their packaging. They also founded Bottles to Babies Initiative which provides donated used bottles and new nipples to non-profit organizations and women’s shelters. Whole Foods Market and baby boutiques nationwide. 5 oz. and 10 oz styles, $9.99 to $10.99.
Good Green Read
Read it and Cheep
When children are asked how they learned about nature, they can say “A little bird told me.” Author Carol Zelaya has created the Emily the Chickadee series of children’s books to help youngsters appreciate the beauty of nature and what little creatures can teach us, inspired by a baby bird that lived in her own backyard. Amazon. $12
Clean & Green Diapers
Disposable diapers may be convenient, but they pose a threat to our environment and can contain chemicals and materials that are not good for baby’s health. Here are some safer and less wasteful options to consider:
* An eco-alternative to disposables is KUSHIES Ultra-Lite organic diapers which feature a snug designer-style waterproof adjustable shell on the outside and washable liners of 100% soft cotton flannel or a flushable, biodegradable diaper liner inside. A built-in flap can be folded up for boys or down for girls for extra absorbency where they need it most. Pre-soak and machine wash and dry. Infant to toddler sizes. Kushiesonline.com. Trial pack of two diapers $32.99. Toddler five-pack $68.99.
* Wood-pulp processed Seventh Generation fragrance- and chloride-free diapers offer softness for comfort, stretchy leg gathers for fit, re-sealable closure tabs for ease and non-toxic and hypoallergenic absorbent polymer to keep your baby dry. Comparable in performance to traditional premium diapers but a whole different look with a plain, neutral beige rather than the white cartoon-embossed covers of most commercial diapers. Whole Foods, Walgrens, Babies R Us. Newborn (up to 10 lbs.), 40 count, to size 6 (35+ lbs.), 22 count, $10.99.
* Earth-friendly Earth’s Best TenderCare dye-free, perfume-free, chlorine-free diapers are made with annually renewable resources such as corn and wheat that lessen the use of petro-chemicals to reduce your baby’s environmental footprint. They feature breathable sides, moisture barrier cuffs and refastenable tabs for comfort and ease of use. No cutesy cartoons on the outside but great performance. Available in seven sizes from newborn (40 count) to size 6 (22 count). Babies R Us. $11.99.
* Distinguished by a tiny leaf pattern and a unique center channel, the best looking of the Earth-friendly disposable diapers, hypo-allergenic Nature Babycare ECO unbleached, latex-free, frangrance-free andchlorine-free diapers are constructed of 60% natural materials such as soft absorbent pulp from sustainably harvested Scandinavian forests. Less plastics provides more comfort without sacrificing protection. Size 1 (40 count) to size 6 (20 count). Diapers.com, Amazon.com, Target and Babies R Us. $12.99.
* Big-brand Huggies hopped on the organic bandwagon with Huggies Pure & Natural hypo-allergenic and fragrance-free diapers, with an outer cover that includes organic cotton and aloe and vitamin E. Newborn (30 count) to size 6 (20 count). Target, Babies R Us, Diapers.com. $11.99.