What Everybody Ought To Know – It’s No Longer Enough To Install Off-The-Shelf Security Software
Think about this: You had problems with your computer in the past. Now you want to insure that those little annoying nuisance, pests, threats, and risks from hackers and spyware don’t hide in your computer any more. So, you load up your computer with all the free and off-the-shelf security software you can find. Now, as your confidence rises, you think that your computer is as impenetrable as the gold at Fort Knox.
Wrong!!!! You have been fooled into thinking that your computer is fully protected.
Now think about this: With all the options available to you, how do you know which one offers the best protection for you, your family, or your business? Here are some questions you need to consider:
* Are you a trained computer and Internet security expert?
* Do you know exactly which security software is compatible with your system?
* Do you have the time to continually research all the latest security technologies?
* Do you know exactly which software you should install and which ones should not?
* Once installed, how do you keep the different software programs updated? In fact, how often are they updated: daily? weekly? biweekly? monthly? Are the updates free. And if so, for how long?
* If you encountered a problem that your installed security software could not fix, or you simply had a question, would you have access to free, live technical support?
* If not, what would it cost you? Would it be a one-time fee? Would it come with a warranty period? And what would it cost you when the warranty expires?
By now, I’m hoping that you’re beginning to see why it is not enough any longer to install off-the-shelf security software. There is a better option! You need a revolutionary full security service package that gives you peace of mind because its software programs work together, its technical support is always live and free, and its comprehensive $25,000 personal identity theft insurance comes with a recovery service at no additional cost.
Why you need a comprehensive security service package: The Internet-based attacks on your personal privacy and security continue to worsen year after year. The future of Internet security is gloomy and it takes an extremely dedicated and savvy computer user to find the right mix of security programs and stay current with the newest threats. Internet security is not a one-time event. You cannot simply install security software on your PC and then forget about its safety and security, and ultimately, the safety and security of your family, home, and business. Internet safety and security require an ongoing, time-intensive process with a fairly high level of expertise and vigilance.
Why you need a team of security experts on your side: Do you want to be an Internet security expert? If you are like most people, you neither want to nor have the time. You don’t want to worry about staying current with the latest technologies. You can’t possibly keep up with the all the new threats coming at you almost daily because you have better things to do with your time. Instead, most people end up relying on the opinions and recommendations of more knowledgeable friends and family members for their security needs and hope nothing bad happens. But is that the best and safest strategy?
To get maximum protection for your PC, you need an Internet security expert on your side. Better yet, you need a team of experts making sure that you, your family, and your business are always safe and secure. You need to find your own personal team of experts to rely on. If you ever have a security problem, you want a trusted expert you can call for professional answers and solutions without any hassles and extra costs! As time goes on, it will become even more critical than it is today.
The best protection you can have in today’s rapidly changing world of cyber-attacks is to have expert support for all your Internet security needs. Hackers will likely always be one step ahead of law enforcement and the security industry itself. Software-based protection alone, as you can see, is not enough anymore.
Of all the Internet users who have anti-virus software on their computers, 85% of them had computers that were subsequently infected with a virus or worm! Have you ever had a virus you couldn’t get rid of? Has your computer acted funny or has it slowed way down due to a massive spyware infestation? Then you see and know how dangerous and damaging these threats and risks are!
Unfortunately, for consumers seeking security and privacy protection with brand name solutions will find two extremes – complex systems they cannot afford or properly maintain, or consumer-grade technology that doesn’t provide adequate protection. If they do find something that fits their budget, it will likely have only a part of what is needed to truly protect a computer, and it won’t include free expert support and a security guarantee.
Caution: Don’t be lulled into a false sense of security thinking that the anti-virus software that came with your computer is enough protection. Off the shelf anti-virus software does not always protect you from hackers, spyware, remote access tools, Trojan horses, password crackers, keystroke loggers, identity theft tools, Microsoft security holes, hybrid viruses, and much more. And most people let their anti-virus program expire thereby losing protection from everyday viruses and worms.
To be fully protected, you will need:
* at least five layers of overlapping security technologies and services to create a virtual fortress for your PC. Most off-the-shelf and free software offer two, or three at the most, programs. But are they overlapping when they work and when they update?
* desktop firewall to lock out hackers and other unauthorized intrusions and shield your PC from unauthorized communication both to and from your PC, making your PC virtually invisible to hackers and other intruders randomly scanning the Internet for vulnerable PCs;
* world-class anti-virus protection, including 24/7 scanning and certification that your incoming and outgoing e-mails attachments are virus-free — plus scanning of all removable media such as CDs, Zip disks, portable hard drives, and floppies;
* anti-spyware that continuously monitors, detects, and eliminates all forms of spyware, hacker tools, and malware from your PC including malicious spyware tools, adware, browser hijackers, search hijackers, keyloggers, ghost spammers, remote access tools (RATs), back doors, and many other illegal programs and applications that breach your privacy and security;
* patch management that will automatically find and fix security holes and other dangerous vulnerabilities in your computer’s operating system and software programs that hackers use to break into your computer;
* security alerts that warns you of brand new viruses, worms, and other security threats as they emerge – including specific recommendations of what to watch out for and how to avoid getting attacked to keep your privacy secured and your PC safe; and to wrap it all together,
* premium technical support that offers free unlimited expert technical support for any security related problems or issues with options to include online access to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), User Guides, Email Support Hotline, and live, expert telephone support by highly trained technicians.
Although the Internet basically provides a positive and productive experience, cyber-attacks against our personal privacy and security are reaching epidemic proportions. These attacks are occurring in our own homes and businesses. Our own computers are being used are being used as zombies to attack other people, businesses, and even our nation itself. As an average Internet user, you may not be aware of these threats nor have any idea about the dramatically increasing risks you face when connected to the Internet.
On a campaign for internet safety awareness and protection, my mission is to bring critical awareness to individuals, families, and small business owners, and to provide access to the necessary tools and ongoing expertise to secure your computer and help you stay protected.
I invite you to join the many thousands of others who have tested their computers, discovered these threats are real, and taken the necessary steps to protect their computers, their families, and their businesses.
Now that you have become aware of these issues, I encourage you to share this vital information with your families, friends and communities. Together, we can reach many millions of people and inform them about the threats to their privacy and security, and help them get the protection they desperately need.
Remember: When you say “No!” to hackers and spyware, everyone wins! When you don’t, we all lose!
© MMVII, Etienne A. Gibbs, MSW, Internet Safety Advocate and Educator