Use the powers of feng shui to sleep better, be more energized and successful, and improve your love life. The bedroom is important because it is there that we recharge and get ready for a new day. Getting a good night’s sleep is imperative to our health and well-being.
Bedrooms also afford privacy. It may be the place where a child holds their treasures and dreams, or it can be your place of intimacy with your partner. Feng shui says that problems in the bedroom from all sorts of sources can be traced to how your space is arranged. Bedrooms should have more yin energy than yang. Yin is passive and promotes relaxation, while yang energy is forceful and energizing. Using your bedroom for other purposes like work can also attribute to yang energy.
Read on to discover what to avoid, how to work around the limitations of the room and how to create the best feng shui you can in your bedroom.
Ideal locations for a feng shui bedroom are southeast, east, west, northwest or north of the home’s center. Bedrooms located to the south, southwest or northeast of the home’s center should be avoided if possible.
Exercise equipment and workout space; Office equipment and work space
Work and exercise are both very important, but they should not take place in the bedroom. These activities both produce a lot of yang energy, which is disruptive in a sleeping environment. If there is no other place for your exercise equipment or office materials, try to cover them up at night so they are not visible reminders of what is waiting for you when you get up.
Many people put a TV in their bedroom, but not only do they disrupt sleep, they disrupt relationships. You want to be able to connect with your partner in the bedroom, not the late night movie. Televisions give off electromagnetic waves as well that are not a healthy thing for the bedroom.
Mirrors make it difficult to get rid of old emotions because they reflect chi back at you while you are sleeping.
Sharp corners and edges
Furniture with sharp edges and plants that have jagged leaves interrupt the flow of chi. Smooth and round shapes are much more conducive to rest and yin energy.
Hard, shiny surfaces
Metal, mirrors and shiny stone surfaces like marble will serve to make the chi move faster. This is the opposite situation you need when you’re trying to relax and sleep.
It is better feng shui to have a mattress raised up off the floor on a bed frame so that air and chi can circulate beneath it. If you need this space for storage, it helps if the stored materials are sleep-related and that it doesn’t need to be dug out and used too frequently. If you are trying to become pregnant, don’t make it a priority to clean beneath the bed. If the chi accumulates under the bed, it can help.
King size beds require a split right down the middle because two box springs are required to support the mattress. This also creates a split between you and your partner. To fix this split, wrap the two box springs with a large piece of red fabric or find a fitted sheet large enough to cover both of them. Place the mattress on top as usual.
Try to keep electrical wires and outlets away from your head when you sleep.
In feng shui, like many other traditions, unmade beds convey bad energy.
- See the sunrise: If the sunrise can be seen from your bed, you will bring in very strong, positive chi energy.
- A round vase of metal holding red flowers: Situate this vase in the west side of the bedroom to increase amorous adventures.
- Wooden bed frames and/or headboards: Wood neutralizes the flow of chi, especially around your head. This helps you relax and get a good night’s sleep.
- Natural fiber bedding: Bed linens of cotton, silk or linen are the best choices for sleeping. The best color choices to bring in yin energy are shades of rose or pink with circular patterns.
- Unclutter it!: While this is true for the entire house, a neat and tidy bedroom helps you sleep better.
- Bed location: Optimal directions to place your bed include having your head point north if you are older, or east for children. Other directions will help in different areas of your life. For example, having your head point southeast will help foster communication and creativity. Southwest creates more settled relationships. West promotes good sleep, romance and increased prosperity. Northwest helps you feel more control in your life.
Placing your bed so your head points south or northeast may result in anxiety or nightmares. The energy from these two directions is unstable, full of activity and can be very powerful.