How To Clean And Disinfect Your Futon Mattress
Futon mattresses are simpler and more eco-friendly than traditional mattresses. Many people are content with using this type of mattress. It is also cheaper.
When it comes to maintenance, it should not cause needless worries and extra work. It can be kept in top shape using the following tips:
1. Don a pair of rubber gloves to protect your hands. You might also want to wear a face mask to prevent yourself from inhaling minute dust particles coming from your futon.
2. Get a small canister or hand-held vacuum cleaner with HEPA filter. What is great about this cleaning machine is that it can really suck dirt and dust particles. It prevents dirt from flying back into your face. Make sure you vacuum all sides of the futon.
3. You can use a steam cleaner to disinfect your futon. Since most futons are thinner, they can dry up faster. Use a mild disinfectant soap to clean the bed. If you don’t like soaking the bed through and through, just use vinegar or lemon juice solution.
Mix one cup of distilled white vinegar or one cup of lemon juice and add it to three cups of warm water. Place the cleaning solution in a spray bottle. Spray it all over the surface of the mattress. If there are stains, spray more cleaning solution on the stained area. Let it work in cleaning your bed for about an hour. Vinegar and lemon juice also has disinfectant properties so they should work well in removing germs and viruses.
4. After an hour, fill up a basin full of water and dip a small sponge in it. Wring out the excess water. Wipe the sponge on the surface of the mattress. To get rid of stains, use a soft-bristled brush. Most of the stains should have loosened up already because of the vinegar solution. If there are still more stains, treat those area with a mild detergent and slough it off with a soft-bristled brush.
5. Press your hands on the futon to get rid of lingering moisture. Use an absorbent towel to get rid of the excess moisture.
6. Sprinkle baking soda all over the bed. This will help get rid of smell and will also help dry the mattress up completely. Let it stay there for an hour.
7. Get your vacuum cleaner again and vacuum the mattress. Get rid of lingering baking soda residues.
8. Let it dry completely.